Friday, June 5, 2009

Football days are here again...

Well, not club football but I get to play daily for an hour or so. There is this Parsi colony that neighbours my building. They have a decent sized ground and the players who turn up are also decent. Some have played national level and a few play for local Parsi clubs.

I am slowly rediscoverng my scoring touch. Since it is not a full ground, we don't play a proper Defence-Midfield-Attack formation. The defence and the midfield are one and the same. Now as for me, long spells of not having played have slowed me down. I had also lost my scoring touch. Normally, I am pretty much reliable in the box but of late even simple tap-ins eluded me. The only thing that remained was my positional and game sense.

Hence, for the last year or so, whenever I took to the field I would play as a sweeper. Taking the ball out of the defense and initiating attacks was what I did. There is a sweetness in seeing your through ball or slide rule pass being matched by the striker's run and the cool finish past the keeper. However, being a sweeper means that I could no longer play up as I had to put in my fair share of defensive work as well. Hence, the goals dried up but the assists kept racking up.

However, for the last few days that I have resumed playing, I have started making direct runs into the box and also trying to get at the end of a move that I start myself. It does leave my team a bit vulnerable at the back but what the hell...

I want to feel that long forgotten joy of sliding the ball past the keeper and wheeling away in celebration.

No comments: