Sunday, June 7, 2009

Tummy Ache

I wake up today early morning clutching my tummy in pain…there is a piercing pain that I just won’t let me sleep.

Now, if one thing that really scares me the most of all ailments is tummy ache. I remember when in school, a tummy ache would mean no school and a trip to the doctor. He would prescribe white pills and pink syrup and lots of rest, which meant skipping homework as well.

Rewind to today, I try to throw back my mind to the last time I had a tummy ache. But my memory fails me…maybe 5-6th standard. I can’t care less…I have more painful matters to attend to right now.

I wake up my mom whose first question is what I had eaten the previous night. I put the answer on hold and wake up my sister. I tell her that my tummy is aching and her answer is quite original.

“Go to the doctor.”

Now that is exactly what I have done. I mean my sister is a doctor. But I guess she knows I must have eaten something wrong and in due course the pain would subside.

I try and sleep but visions of appendicitis enter my mind. I see myself being wheeled into the operating theatre and being cut up by a beautiful doctor (this beautiful doctor part was the best part of the vision). I can see myself being advised complete bed rest for 3 weeks. That would mean missing the football every evening. I tell my mom so and she just pooh poohs my worries.

Finally my sister wakes up. Two glasses of hot water and I am alright.

The culprit was identified as jackfruit. Now, this is my favorite fruit, even above mangoes. And you are not supposed to drink water over this fruit and I had done exactly the same. Hence, the tummy ache.
So now I have to go light on food for the day...sad but better than 3 weeks bed rest.

No comments: