Monday, June 14, 2010

Cough, cold and fever...

Today afternoon I visited this doctor in Parel with my mom. I was visiting this doctor after something like 6-7 years...maybe more. Frankly I don't even remember the last time I visited this doctor since we have a doctor at home now.

I still remember the times we went to this doctor...there used to be a huge queue...small kids with rashes and boils on their faces...worried mothers...old ladies. You reach there at 11 AM and your turn would come by 3-3:30 PM. But it was worth the wait for one look at the senior doctor there and you would feel half better. Then there used to be the medicines. White tablets for fever with dark maroon liquid or pink liquid for a tummy ache. I, without fail, would get an injection...my mom would insist on it. And next day my school calendar would read, "Missed school because of cough, cold and fever."

One particular incident I remember is when I burnt my right hand in a freak Diwali cracker experiment. My hand had turned completely black and the Doctor was puzzled. Then, I said very innocently, "I washed the burns with Hamam soap." Why asked the Doctor? "Because Hamam hain sabse natural."

The senior Doctor no longer practices there; it's his son and daughter-in-law now. But I know that clinic is going to be there for the next 3-4 generations.

No comments: