Monday, June 28, 2010

Video replays in Football?

Ok, so England got knocked out of the WC2010 and are cribbing about how the "goal that was not given" could have changed things. I agree that at 2-2 it would have been a different game. So do we need video replays in football??

We have video replays in cricket and tennis. Replays will help out in football as well. But somehow I don't want sport to be touched by technology to the extent that the referee or linesman decision can be changed. I hate the replays that are used at major tennis tournaments. I feel that using video technology takes away some of the charm of sports. Refeering errors are part of the game. It creates legends as is the case of Sir Geoff Hurst goal in 1966 against Germany. To this date no one knows if the ball cleared the line or not but we still talk about it with great fondness (if you are English) and anger (if your German). But it has its place in history.

Not many would accept my argument but this is just the old-school footballer in me. Practically we need video replays but I really am hoping FIFA sees this issue not practically, but from the viewpoint of letting the game still be beautiful.

No comments: