Sunday, May 24, 2009

Sporty Sunday

Monte Carlo GP, French Open, Survival Sunday in EPL, IPL 20-20 Finals…seems an overload of sports for most but not for me. It is the perfect Sunday to beat away the blues of the week gone. Also, today morning I finally managed to wake up on time to go down and play cricket in my colony (not an easy task considering the fact I was up till 4 A.M. waiting for a message).

However, let’s get back to the cricket. I have never been a fan of the game…simply because football is my raison d’être. I have never played cricket that well…though in school I was a pretty good player of the rubber and tennis ball. The season ball still leaves me cold and scared…

Today after something like a couple of years I went down to play cricket. Two years because on a Sunday I can never wake up before 1 P.M. Most of the crowd was new, enthuastic kids who were eager to please us seniors who had consented to play with them. We seniors meanwhile were just not interested in the game…we had come simply to relive some of our childhood memories, once again go back to being kids.

And so it was great to be back…I played 4 matches in all. My personal scores: 0, 0, 1, and 0. Each time I got out in my usual fashion…a wild and reckless swing of the bat with no eye for the ball…timing all haywire. When playing football, my feet can move with all the grace of a ballerina in her prime but the footwork required for cricket beats me…no wonder I am called the Sadagopan Ramesh of Finlay Towers.

My major contribution, and this is where I really excel, was to sledge opposition batsmen, slowly break down their concentrate, rib them on every false shot, every mishit. No wonder we won all 4 matches on the trot…

Now I await a nice game of football in the evening…when I will be in my own elements, feeling that rush of blood when you have breezed past your marker and have only the keeper to beat…the beauty of seeing the ball nestling in the back of the net...

However, the day does not seem complete without a game of badminton...but then you can't have everything, can you?

No comments: